Monday 3 September 2007

Further Adventures In Job Hunting: Hannah Learns A Lesson

Well, when I say 'learn a lesson', what I REALLY mean is I've decided to go back into education part-time. It means my Monday nights are going to be VERY busy but needs must ……

I've noticed while looking at job opportunities in the Accounts field that there are two requirements that seem to be fairly across the board – an AAT qualification and knowledge of Sage Line 50. Now, although I went to college and uni, and have been working in Accounts for a while now, I still don't have the 2 pieces of paper that people seem to want from me in order to employ me. So that's what I've decided to do.

I've been half heartedly looking at the AAT for a while but what was putting me off was (a) that I, personally, couldn't afford it, and (b) I didn't want to ask work to pay for it for me as it meant I would be locked into a contract with them for an extra 12-months, which meant that if a job came up that was better than what I already had, I either couldn't apply for it, or if I did and got the job I would need to find the £375 for it anyway to pay them back. Now, I have the time, and because the fees will be paid for me as I'm unemployed, I can do it. It'll look good on my CV, it shows that I'm willing to work and am trying to progress (rather than my CV and I both implying "I'd fill in where I was needed and hope I got more training") and I'll find that more opportunities will be open to me. It means I'll be at college on a Monday from 12.30 – 6.30pm …… it also means I'll be back to doing homework again!!! Lol!!

The other course I've been looking at is a Sage book-keeping course. It's an adult education course. I think it may cover pretty much the same as the AAT, but the Sage course, although including an element of manual working, I think, will concentrate more on the software itself, which will be handy. The AAT, as far as I can tell from my Mum having done it, will be more manual theory and practice. Again, the Sage opportunities will be open for me if I complete it and the lady who'll be training me seems very nice. Therefore I'll be driving into Barton and going to the Adult Education centre at Providence House (better known as the Library!!!) from 7 – 9pm …… on a Monday night …… Mondays are going to be REALLY busy!!! Lol!! I think it'll be a chippy tea every Monday for 6-months!!!

As far as the job hunt itself goes, it's kind of stalled at the mo', simply because I've been looking into these courses …… but I think it still counts as job hunting because it means I'm working to get back into work, but not just by applying for anything going …… I think what spurred me on was that agency person last week implying I may have been setting my sights too high for the Trainee (note the word 'Trainee'!!!) Assistant Management Accountant job. I mean, I know they need to advise you as best they can, but turning round and saying "well, there are people with Accountancy degrees who can't get the jobs!!" doesn't exactly fill you with confidence – difference between the degree and the courses I've chosen?? Not as much practical experience with the former from what I can gather!!!

Now I think I may have a look and see about picking a course for fun …… get me eh?? Student!! Lol!!!

H.
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment