Wednesday 27 December 2006

Christmas Witterings

So another year, another Christmas been and gone.

Now is it just me or do you find yourself really eager for that week off work for absolutely months and then are sick to shit of it after Boxing Day’s been and gone. Speaking of my own experience I’ve had enough of Turkey, chocolate, mince pies, and the sheer absence of anything good on TV. There’s been a couple of things to look forward -- I enjoyed watching Pirates of the Caribbean last night -- and the Little Britain special was good but I could’ve watched either of these after a busy day at work. I’ve got no interest in the post Christmas rush to the sales because (1) the sales are miles from where I live and (2) I know there’ll be nothing I want and I don’t see the point in buying something I’m not going to use simply because “usually it’d be £30 and for this week only it’s £15!!!!”

Now I’m no fool -- I know that I’ll be willing myself back to work and then a couple of days later wishing I was still on holiday. It’s sods law. I’ve spent the last couple of days surfing the internet between Myspace and the forum, with the occasional trip to Amazon and Ticketmaster.

But I’m afraid Christmas has lost a bit of it’s shine for me -- part of it is down to age. I’m afraid Christmas isn’t as much fun as it was when I was 6 because I now know what my folks had to do to prepare that special day, tackling shopping traffic on the high street, getting a trolley rammed up my …… heels, and having to fight a pensioner for the last tin of Celebrations. But the biggest part of it is down to bad experience. I’d call it a trauma but that’s just over-dramatics, but 3 years ago my Dad passed away smack-bang in the middle of the festive period -- Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!!! So as you can imagine, Christmas is a bit, well, tainted I suppose. I know that kind of thing can’t be helped but I also know it’ll get better -- this year was better than last year which was better than the year before that …… but still I’ll go through the motions again next year and then bemoan the fact that there’s nothing on TV, I’ve got heartburn and that Christmas and Sale shoppers are a nightmare.

Roll on Christmas 2007!!! Lol!!

No comments:

Post a Comment