Saturday 20 March 2010

Round and Round

Well it’s been another 'stellar' week of my life …. please note that sarcasm was intended there. It’s been a bad week and on top of last week I’ve felt even less sociable than I have previously. Not exactly the best way to feel when you’re trying to get excited about something more interesting. Aside from the fact I’m handling my Dad’s birthday (which would have been tomorrow) badly, work still doesn’t improve.

The boss went off on his jollies this week. As he seems to be the root of most of my issues you’d be forgiven for thinking that I might have a good week. Well actually no I didn’t. To be honest, it started before he even left. We had a recall come about on Tuesday. Nothing new there; we can do those standing on our heads metaphorically speaking. Of course, the boss being the way he is, will find any opportunity to not have to do any work. To explain this next comment you have to understand another rule of thumb about the department, which is that there must ALWAYS be one technologist in the department – even if the boss, who is, himself, a techy person with all the expertise the others have is in. This, I believe, is part and parcel of the fact he can’t be arsed to do anything or find out what’s going on in his department until it turns into a fire.

Anyway, I digress. The recall came in mid afternoon and we would in no way have managed to send it out to members by the time the postie was due to collect at 4.30. There’s a lot of information that needs to be pulled together before a recall can go out to be auctioned by members. So he said to me “There’s no-one (as in the technologists) in tomorrow is there?” I told him there wasn’t. Figured that was the end of it because he should have known the reason why at that time. I left it at that while we waited for the technologist (who we shall call Mildred) who happened to be in that day to come back in to the office from the assessment she was doing. I’m still unclear as to why exactly he doesn’t feel capable enough to do a recall when he’s the one who set up the procedure to do them, but believe it is just because he doesn’t want to do anything work wise until retirement.

A few minutes later he said to me “In future can you make sure that at least one technologist is in the office at all times?” I could not believe him! You have no idea how satisfying it was to be able to say to him “Well Gary was due to be in until the X primary came up”. He had nothing to say. That primary audit was arranged while I was on my holidays and was, therefore, naff all to do with me. Ah, the joy!! :) It’s just another example of him trying to knock my legs out from underneath me and make me feel more useless than I already do. Why, despite doing the job for all this time, does he still think I’m completely incapable? I am university educated and have been working in the department for 18 months now. I think I have a fair idea of how to do things.

Also, on the back of a comment last week about being 5 minutes late one day last week, and the subsequent lecture about taking a different route to him (and pointing out to him that the A15 is just as far from my house as Barton and it’s a longer journey and asking if he was going to give me a pay rise to cover my increased travel costs if I took that route – he remained strangely stoic on the latter) I have started keeping a record of my times – when I leave work, when I get to my desk, when I go to and return from lunch and what time I leave. Suffice it to say I have left no earlier than I did that day last week when I got in late and have still managed to get to my desk on time and have actually worked longer than my prerequisite hours. He has no concept of anything. He believes that because he can do it everyone else can. Forget the fact that people come from different places via different routes encountering different obstacles to their progress, and I am neither paid nor respected well enough to get to my desk 15 minutes before my designated start time as he does which was his comment a few weeks ago.

The other major annoyance and thing that sent my blood pressure soaring again took place over the space of two days. As I mentioned in my last blog, we do NPD testing on new products prior to launch. When the results come in they go to the originating technologist (i.e. the one who signed the paperwork telling the lab what to test the products for) at which point they will look at the results and let me know whether they are acceptable or not so I can pass copies of the certificates to the suppliers. Now the idea is they send an email to the buyer, supplier representative, marketing department (who create the label artwork) and me, however this doesn’t happen. The idea is that development is an urgent and important thing which needs to be moved on as soon as possible and part of that is providing copy certificates to suppliers as soon as possible. However I am not being told when results have been accepted (or not as the case may be) until a week or more after the certificates have come in when they finally land back on my desk by which point the results tend to be a moot point.

Again, it’s another way of making me look incompetent and redundant in this job. It’s doing my nut in to say the least. I also found it ironic that this particular Technologist (who we shall call George) can’t send me an email I NEED in order to do my job, but can send one to someone else that they don’t need!! I mean what the fuck?!?! I honest to GOD can’t wait until I can escape this badly run shithole.

Now I just need to find a few more jobs I can apply for. I know that sounds odd, but what it boils down to is that I’m finding the jobs …. but they all want to interview while I’m on my Dallas trip. I want to be motivated to apply for them but what’s the point if I can’t interview if I get the option. :( Hello rock, meet the hard place …. again. Tell me again why this shit can’t be easy?

No comments:

Post a Comment