Thursday 6 March 2008

A Rock And A Hard Place

It seems you can't win as a job seeker. On the one hand you're told by the Job Centre that you need to apply for X amount of jobs/talk to X amount of employers per week which, if you want to work, you dutifully do, then on the other you get told by agencies that you have to seem enthusiastic about every dead-end boring job you go to interview for. Case in point, I was put up for a job in Immingham, by one of the agencies the other day. I need a job especially as this one was only due to last a fortnight, so I said, go ahead, put me forward. Maybe I didn't read what she'd sent me properly, but it turns out it was for a chiefly payroll position – something which I said I wanted to get away from. But I went anyway, but unfortunately as soon as Payroll was mentioned, my interest in the job waned and it seems I didn't succeed in hiding it very well. Her advice was nervous or not, which I wasn't particularly, I should look interested. The fact that I was stressed because of traffic, tardiness (because of the traffic!!) and a lack of information on the job provided by the agency resulting in my being unable to actually DO any timely research is neither here nor there. If I could have done the research I would, but I'm not going to abuse my current position by surfing the internet while working!!

So what do I do?? I have to apply for a certain amount of jobs whilst not working, but some of those I won't really want, and if I make it to the interview stage, it seems the remark "I need a job" isn't a good enough retort to use in an interview when asked why you applied, even if that is the only reason you have applied. Seems an eagerness just to work isn't enough these days ……

My other related crisis is over-thinking …… AGAIN!!! Maybe it's the number of knock backs again or the uncertainty of temping but it gives me way too much time to think. I commented to Kerry the other day how everything I've done in terms of career I've fallen into. I've never really made a decision for me. It was always convenient or necessary. So here I am wondering if Accounts is my bag of chips …… and wondering how I've got into such a rut. Think it's the time of year again. It's coming up to birthdays and other stuff and I start contemplating my lot again …… promising myself that I'll do something about it and never quite getting round to it ……

I sound like a broken record, I know that. But it just bothers me that everyone else has seemingly found their niche and I'm still looking for it …… Roll on unemployment ……

No comments:

Post a Comment