Saturday 20 October 2007

Further Adventures In Job Hunting: The Latest Job Interview

As I mentioned early – and I mean EARLY!!! 1.47 am!! My Lordy!! – on Wednesday morning, I had a job interview the other day. I'm guessing by now that you've reached the conclusion, unless I made a point of texting you about it, that I didn't get the job. Yep. One more to add to the list of people who don't want me *sniff*. The job was for a food company in Elsham. Basically they spend their days chopping up Onions and Potatoes into various shapes and forms and shipping them off to other companies to use in whatever foods they use potatoes and onions in. If successful, I wouldn't have been spending my days, knife in hand, peeling potatoes and chopping them into messes. I'd have been working in the Accounts department doing, erm, accounts. By the sounds of it I would have been mainly responsible for the Sales Ledger and the weekly payroll (of about 20 folk), but I also got the impression I would have been needed to cover for other accounts things. Not a problem – I'd done it before I can do it again!! Lol!!

I left about an hour early, unnecessarily it turned out. I needed to get to the Job Centre to fill out a Travel to Interview form which basically pays me travel for anything over 4 miles. I had to ask Worse-than-useless-bint, but at least she just got on with it this time. I filled it in at the Job Centre and handed it back before heading back out to the car at a fair old pace. While I was getting in the car I saw one of the guys from work and had a quick chat. Just glad I didn't look a state – not that I would want to pull him, he's not my type, there I was all dressed up in my interview clothes not looking desperate.

I'm not sure what to make of the interview though. Cue the groans from the audience. What I mean to say is the interviewers were nice enough. I was interviewed by the Financial Controller and the Office Manager, but it seemed that aside from getting an impression of me they had very little idea as to the particulars of remuneration – that's a couple of big words for this time of day especially a Saturday. They'd seen the salary level that Sewell Moorhouse had put on my CV, and said they needed to discuss this with the MD – fair 'nuff, and they had to check whether I'd be granted study leave for my AAT on Mondays. Then I asked about any benefit package, i.e. Health insurance, pension, that kind of thing, and they said they didn't know …… filled me with confidence don'tcha think. The interview lasted all of 15 minutes and seemed promising, and they said they'd get back to Bev as soon as possible.

Bev called me at about 3pm to tell me that she'd heard from the guy, and he'd said that I didn't have enough relevant experience. She hastened to add that that was the only negative thing he had to say so that cheered me up some – I'm not a total loss then. Suffice it to say that, despite my disappointment, I renewed my efforts Wednesday afternoon to apply for jobs – found about four or five which I've sent applications off for. Thankfully no more awkward questions on application forms – speaking of which, I never got around to finishing that application for the council – I just couldn't think of what to put under the heading of 'Knowledge', although thinking about it now, the nature of that job involved home visits to demented, scary, unstable, thick or possibly violent people and you know what a nervous wreck I can be sometimes. Nope. When I thought about it some, as much as I would love to earn £17k a year, the stress may have killed me!! Lol!!

No comments:

Post a Comment