Sunday 11 February 2007

Career Planning

I've been thinking lately. I shouldn't have thoughts because they lead to ideas, but I've been re-evaluating where I am in my life.
I know I need a new job. I'm not getting anywhere where I am. I do have a second interview next week for a job in Lincoln. The only problem is that it's an hour's journey each way from where I live and a nearly 80 mile round trip per day. It's possibly another £3000 a year on my salary, but I'm not sure that will cover my additional travelling expenses. I could look into moving but, as is the case with most first-timers I can't afford anywhere, and renting – in my opinion – is just dead money that I could use elsewhere.
If nothing else the interview will give me a bit more interview practice as I am atrocious at interviews. But as I said earlier, I'm not sure it's what I want. Maybe I'm basing my opinion on my farcical experience of the job at my current place, but in the back of my mind I don't think it's what I want.
I could retrain, but I don't know what as. I've also been looking at the AAT qualification but I'm not sure about that either. I just think I've had enough of education. My last experience was highly depressing. I've just come to an abrupt halt and I've run out of ideas. I don't know where to look next or what I'd be most suited to. Ideas anyone??? Seriously. I think I need impartial advice from people who probably know me better than I know myself!!!!

I don't know if it's the thought of change that's making me so anxious, but I know that change is what needs to happen. It's just that first decision …… and the step that immediately follows it ……

No comments:

Post a Comment